Thank you for choosing Dogs and Cats Veterinary Referral & Emergency for your pet’s care! Below, you will find registration forms and key information you should know prior to your appointment. Please call the office if you have any questions, or are in need of any further instruction.
If this is your first visit with us, please fill out and sign the New Client Registration Form below and bring it with you to your appointment.
- Providing all medical history and results of previous veterinary visits is critical to our ability to create a treatment plan for your pet. We ask that you contact all veterinarians involved in your pet's care to provide the following items prior to your appointment:
- All medical records and lab results pertaining to your pet's current problem, as well as most recent vaccination history.Fax: 301-809-0900
- You may hand carry a CD of images or hard copy x-rays, or have radiographs emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (DICOM or JPEG format).
- You will need to bring ALL medications that your pet is taking in their original containers. If you no longer have the original prescription vials, all medications must be separated and labeled clearly for easy identification.
- Please fast your pet (NO FOOD) after 9pm the evening prior to your appointment, unless otherwise specified. Water may be left available until appointment time.
- Timely arrival is important to ensure that we have adequate time to dedicate to your pet's needs. If you are running behind for any reason, please call our office. If you will be more than 15 minutes late for your appointment, it may be necessary to reschedule.
During the Appointment
- You will meet with your pet's Specialist, who will review and discuss medical history, perform a thorough "nose to tail" examination on your pet, and discuss a diagnostic and treatment plan for your pet based on this information. If your pet's examination was performed in the treatment area prior to consultation, exam findings will be discussed with you at this time. DCVR is proud to be a teaching hospital. In many cases, an Intern Veterinarian will begin your appointment by taking a thorough medical history for the Specialist. This intern will work in tandem with your pet's specialist throughout the appointment.
- You will receive a detailed estimate of costs for your pet's treatment plan, and your doctor or technician will gladly discuss all options available, and what is best for you and your pet.
- You may be asked to leave your pet with us for a period of time while diagnostic testing and procedures are performed. It may be possible to perform some procedures "same day", but please keep in mind that this cannot be guaranteed.
- If your pet stays with us for diagnostics, you will receive a call from your pet's specialist to discuss any results (if available) or next steps. A discharge appointment will be scheduled at a time that is convenient for you to discuss home care in detail. Please keep in mind that our specialty services close at 6pm. If you are unable to schedule a discharge appointment before the service closes, you may receive instructions over the phone, and can schedule a later time to pick up your pet during our emergency hours.
- You will receive a detailed discharge letter within 1-2 business days of your appointment (depending upon pending test results), which will outline your pet's appointment, diagnostics, treatments, and recommendations, as well as instructions for follow up. This letter will also be faxed or emailed to your Referring Veterinarian, to ensure that they remain informed about your pet's care.
- For Radiology outpatient imaging appointments, much of what is detailed above will not apply, as this appointment is for imaging ONLY. You will meet with a Board Certified Radiologist following imaging of your pet to discuss results. The report generated by the Specialist will be sent to your Referring Veterinarian, who will discuss further diagnostics and treatments with you beyond this appointment.
New Referral Consultation costs vary according to the specialty department. The costs quoted below are for consultation only. An estimate will be provided for diagnostics and treatments.
Internal Medicine - $210
Oncology - $210
Surgery - $165
Neurology - $226
Radiology - $110
Emergency - $160